Skip to main content

Two Birds in the Hand

September has been quite a month on our 12 acres. Within less than two weeks I had rescued a budgie(parakeet) and a rogue rooster.

I first spotted the budgie one evening as we were shutting up the chickens. He was sitting on a bush in  our backyard. My first reaction was "rare bird" but I soon calmed down after looking at the yellow blob with binoculars. Definitely a budgie. I tried to capture him that evening but he flew off to the top of a very large willow tree. Over the next couple of days we spotted him off and on under the bird feeder but he always flew off with the wild birds every time we walked out the back door. About 3 days later, on our wedding anniversary, I saw him sitting on our chainlink fence all by himself...no other birds around. I grabbed some bird seed and slowly walked over to him, fully expecting him to fly away. He didn't. He let me put my seed-filled hand in front of him and he started to eat the food. While he was eating, I carefully brought up my left hand and inched it along the top of the fence toward the back of the bird and then I grabbed him!


This is probably not the correct way to hold a bird but he survived my clutching, arthritic hand and is now living in a large cage in the kitchen. We christened him Ripley, after the town in New York State where we were married.

Less than two weeks later I began hearing about a rooster who was hanging around a condo area on the edge of Lake Erie, a few miles from our home. We had a rooster years ago and he was a holy terror so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the FB posts I was seeing  until a friend finally sent me a private message and asked if we would be interested. Against my better judgment, I decided to check it out. He was a Polish rooster and that reminded me of a Polish hen my grandfather had named Susie. Susie followed me everywhere, including the inside of the rowboat. This made me weak and my resolve faded away. So off we went on a Tues. morning to see if we could catch him.

Sarah, the kind lady who had been feeding him, led the way and we found him behind a long string of condo garages. The three of us gave it our best shot but he was way too quick for our aging bodies.  We left disheartened and I figured Sarah would give the guy who had 75 hens the next shot at him. Apparently, she felt we would give him a home where he would be the star because she called a couple days later.  A neighbor had loaned her a fishing net and she wanted us to try again. I told her we would come up in the evening after I got home from work. I wasn't too keen on the net but I had a hunch if I could find where he was roosting I might be able to grab him. To make a long story short, the following drawing is an accurate depiction of the event.


Willie--Sarah had named him--was sitting on a railing by the back door of a realty office. I waited 45 minutes until I thought it was dark enough and then started inching my way along the building and up the steps of the stoop until I was directly behind him. It took me 30 minutes to get there and my poor muscles ached and I was ready to pass out from the fear that I was going to mess this up big time. I finally worked up the nerve to go for it and shot my hands out towards the goofy looking rooster and grabbed him from behind. I got  a good grip on him, and thankfully, I managed to stay away from his spurs. Naturally, Willie was terrified and let out the most horrible scream I have ever heard in my 60 years. It was so awful that I'm sure some of the tourists who were filtering back in for the weekend will leave and never come back.


We hurriedly put the little guy into a large pet carrier and took him home. The next morning the hens woke up with Willie crowing in the carrier, which we had placed on the floor of the coop. We kept  Willie separated from the hens for the rest of the day so they could get used to the new resident and Willie could get used to his new digs. Towards dusk we let him out of the enclosed area so he could meet the hens and hopefully roost with them that night. There were a couple of minor scuffles but  nothing serious and Willie successfully roosted with the girls. As I write this, almost a week later, Willie and the hens are getting along great and our rooster phobia is disappearing. Willie is nothing like our last rooster and is turning out to be one of those sweet roosters I've heard about but was convinced didn't exist. He just crowed....love to hear that.







Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading your blog Robin! I, too, learned from childhood that you have to be cautious & careful when trying to establish contact with birds or other creatures. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, CL! I'm glad you enjoyed reading the post. Willie and Ripley are nice additions to our family :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Travis the Giraffe

My latest painting is a portrait of Travis, a giraffe that lives at the Toledo Zoo in Toledo, Ohio. For a small fee you can feed Travis from a platform that puts you high enough to look him straight in the eye. I took a photo moments after my partner had fed him and it was that photo that I used as reference for this painting. Overall, I'm happy with this but as always there are areas I need to work on. Even though I tried several times I couldn't get the wrinkles in his ears so they looked three dimensional. I had to stop fussing with it or I would have had a hole in the paper! For a long time I didn't visit the zoo because it was sad to see all of these beautiful animals kept captive but I've softened my view over the years. This isn't a perfect world and what humans have done to the environment and the wildlife that inhabits it is appalling. I now feel zoos have their place and they, among other organizations, are helping to ensure these beautiful animals

Pumpkin Head Ghost

Like most of you, time flies by for me. I'm a part-time medical courier and every April in the same doctor's parking lot I look at the date on my route sheet and feel relieved I won't be driving in snow and ice for a few months. In November I'm sitting in the same parking lot and wondering where the time went and  how can I possibly do this job for another winter. Spring bird migration, sitting on the deck carving, mowing tons of grass,  swearing at the mosquitoes and deer flies; it's all over in a flash. What can make the time seem to go even faster? Designing and carving holiday items. It's tough to think about Halloween or Christmas  in February, June or August  but I've learned the hard way I need to work on Santa Clauses and pumpkins year round. An added twist is you never really know when they will sell. In 2013 I didn't sell one Halloween carving but in the summer of 2014 I sold three. A serious collector is always on the lookout for something new

Frog and Butterfly

We have some very large bullfrogs on our property and yesterday I saw three sitting in the shade of a maple that grows on the edge of the pond. I wanted to get a photo of one of the monsters and while I was fiddling around with my camera and trying to get into a good position, I noticed something sticking on its skin near the frog's mouth. I figured it was a blade of grass but when I finally got a closer look I saw it was a spring azure butterfly. I couldn't believe the frog didn't eat it's friend. Blame it on the extreme heat or the frog had just ate a very large meal. We are in a moderate drought so there is the possibility that the butterfly was getting a much-needed drink off the frogs moist skin. Much better than getting your feet muddy near the edge of the pond. And yes, I do plan on using this photo for a drawing/painting :)